Especially during the colder months (as it is, here in Australia at the moment), I often struggle to find the motivation to get out of bed early or brave the dark, cold night after work, and exercise. I do however love to be active, so when I do push beyond the barriers it is always worth it.
Here are some of my tips for staying motivated and sticking to your workout schedule:
1) Imagine how you will feel after your workout. The chances are, you will feel good. Use this to boost your motivation.
2) Just GO. Put your sneakers on, and get out the door!
3) Plan your workout around your interests. If you usually workout on a treadmill or at the gym, schedule your workout to coincide with your favourite T.V. show. If you prefer to workout outdoors, find out about local bushwalking or coastal tracks, that offer an extra level of stimulation and excitement to your workout.
4) Mix it up! Sometimes I find that I lose motivation when my workout routine becomes too predictable and boring. So why not change something about your routine. For example, if your training mainly consists of high intensity, cardio work add some yoga or pilates; exchange a run for resistance training or for the runners, change your focus from distance to speed (or vice versa).
5) Set yourself attainable goals, both short term and longterm. I like to set my goals using one of the methods I learnt in my Psychology studies. This involves making sure your goals are SMART:
S – Specific
M – Measurable
A – Attainable
R – Relevant
T – Time-bound
And if all else fails.. get new workout gear. Because who doesn’t love working out in new gym gear?
I am always looking for new ways to motivate myself. So please share with me your secrets!
What motivates you to stick to your workout routine?
And for the workout-gear lovers, where is your favourite place to shop for gym gear?
*Please note I am not a personal trainer; these views are based on my own personal experience.