Nothing makes a cold morning better, than a bowl of warm oats in bed 🙂
Oats tick my criteria as a good food choice and are a regular in my diet for 3 main reasons:
- The health benefits are well researched and proven
- They are quick and easy to make
- Most importantly – they are delicious!
What makes oats so healthy?
- Oats are low GI. This means that the carbohydrate absorbs into your system slowly, providing your body with energy for hours.
- Oats contain a lot of fibre – both soluble and insoluble fibre. Fibre absorbs water, which slows down your digestive process and keeps you nice and full (for way longer than a simple sugary cereal). Fibre also helps to keep you regular 😉 and has been shown to reduce ‘bad’ cholesterol levels.
- Oats contain a wide variety of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
How I cook my oats – quick, simple and delicious!
- Add 1/2 cup oats, 3/4 cup water to a microwavable bowl
- Microwave for 2 minutes on high (all microwaves are different, as is every bowl of oats. First timers, be on the watch for overflowing oats!)
- Stir, add milk, honey or any other desired toppings
- Eat and enjoy 🙂
There are so many ways to incorporate oats into your diet..
How do you do it?